Friday, March 20, 2020
Posted by: Mary Lea Nations
Dear ASDIN Community:
It is at times like these that professional societies are of most value to their members and the community at large. We are truly all in this together.
ASDIN President, Anil Agarwal issued a statement on Tuesday, March 17 - available here. Since that time, ASDIN Leadership has been working to bring more resources and relief to our members and the patients that they serve. Here is a quick summary of those items:
1. Know that we are continuing to update the COVID-19 Resource Page on our website. Check that site frequently.
2. Our ASDIN Physician Blog is available as a public resource. At this time, only members may post and comment, but it is open to the public for viewing. This is an excellent area for information gathering and sharing.
3. One important recent post on the Blog discussed triaging in the face of COVID-19. Posted Wednesday. https://www.asdin.org/blogpost/1182603/343677/Case-Triaging-in-face-of-COVID-19
4. ASDIN will continue to leverage social media - follow us on Twitter @ASDINNews. We also will cross-post to our Facebook page, however, twitter is in our estimation the best social media source for nephrology and dialysis access related information.
5. In conjunction with our mission of multidisciplinary collaboration to improve outcomes for our dialysis patients, we are working closely with VASA and other related organizations to provide guidance to our membership and patients as to what constitutes an elective vs. non-elective access procedure. We want to present a united front and reach consensus before issuing a joint statement.
6. We are working with the Dialysis Vascular Access Coalition (DVAC) and supporting their efforts to educate CMS on the necessity of vascular access procedures and encouraging them to provide explicit guidance on necessary vascular/PD access in future guidance.
7. The ASDIN Council on Wednesday suspended all deadlines for individual physician certification until further notice. The ASDIN Accreditation and Certification Committee and the Certification Workgroups have committed to work with every individual certified physician member to assure that no one loses their certification during this crisis. Any questions on certification may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will constantly be monitoring how ASDIN may continue to further our mission and support our membership, patients and the entire dialysis access community in the coming days, weeks, and months.
Don't hesitate to reach out to ASDIN or your colleagues. We truly do need each other.